May 10, 2010

My ahh-ha moment!





My mom asked me why I haven't posted anything for awhile? Honestly I don't have a really good reason. For one, I took a break from taking pictures because I have been a little upset over the fact that I can't purchase my new camera this year. We had some unexpected issues come up, and so my camera fund went towards that. Now I am extremely glad I had a little fund to help us out, but I really wanted my camera. So finally I decided to quit whinning about it and do something else like really focus on the basics of photography. I have always loved photography, I inherited that from my Grandpa Jensen who is an amazing photographer-his lighting storm pictures are incredible! I have spent hours at his house looking through his photo books while he tells me about each picture he took. He is the one who got me hooked on photography.


I started out by begging my husband to let me buy a DSLR camera and an extra lens. I choose Nikon because I could make it work, and for some odd reason I am Canon impaired-if anyone has a Canon I think they are amazing, I just can't get them to work. Anyways I started reading my manual and I quickly realized that I had no idea how to really use my camera. So now what do I do?


After asking a local photographer about how she got started and following her advise I enrolled into some classes at UVU. I seriously think my teacher was annoyed everytime I showed up to class, because I always had endless questions. I wanted to know everything I could. I also wanted to learn how to do everything manually-focus, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, everything. I refuse to ever put my camera in auto, I don't know why but I always felt like it was cheating.


Well after awhile of reading books, following forums, getting photoshop and lightroom I felt I wasn't improving. I was getting annoyed, actually I was pissed off, but mostly because I had a response to one of my photos that completely made me question if I really understood what I was doing. Now I appreciate the person's point of view, at the time I did not. Instead I shut down and stopped trying. I kept saying "when I can get my new camera then I will try up again". Sad to say, the 'when' never came, so now what?


Now I am hitting the basics...again! But this time it is starting to actually stick and I feel like I really understand the concepts and now I can really improve. So thank you AshleeT249 for your complete and total honesty (as much as I hated it). I guess I did need a good slap in the face, but next time don't be so dang blunt-once is enough for me!


below I posted my settings and also my actions in photoshop.




f/4.5 1/80 iso 200
color boost-single shot, curves








f/4.5 1/80 iso 200
moody pop minus the B&W



This is Link, he has the coolest eyes I have ever seen. Except when Issac is knocking him out to cut his leg, then they look all funky.

f/4.5, 1/80 iso 100
bright/contrast




3 comments:

Amanda Duke said...

Yay!! I feel like my monica is back! I wanted to punch Ashlee2490084... (who cares what her stupid name was) in the face. More pictures PLEASE!!!

Aubry Macbean said...

Good for you pursuing something you love to do. I just make up excuses about not having enough time. Really I am just afraid to fail. Brian knows how to work cameras and photo shop but he never explains how to do anything. Honestly my brother-in-law who is not the professional photographer is the one who has shown me how to do diffrent things with my camera.

Kara and Todd said...

You know, back in my day when I was going to school (oh wait, I still am) and I took a photography class... and I think I had that same dumb biotch Ashely in MY class!!!!!!! J/k. But photography is hard. I also love to take pictures, but it's A LOT to take in- hence why I chose Fine Art. Ha ha. But I can honestly see an improvement in your work. So keep up the good work! And don't forget "No great thing is created suddenly"- that's my Motto. Us Artsy people gotta stick together!!!! (Now if only we can get Amanda to ever update her blog!)